Rachel Rinehart

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Chrysalis


A long time ago, Socrates said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Whether a blessing or a curse, this philosophy is a mantra that I have always lived, and I first remember hearing it as a quote from a childhood literary hero, Thoreau. The oldest of ten children, I found it so romantic that he built a cabin in the woods and lived in solitude.
I grew up on an Angus beef farm in the Bible-belt of the Ozark Mountains, and I loved nature so understood the part about living in the forest, surrounded by trees, birds, berries, creeks, flowers, vines, and wildlife. That I could do. However, I didn’t know anything about solitude.
I was never alone.
With all my younger siblings tripping around, I was constantly surrounded. Sure, I escaped into books all the time, David Copperfield and Jane Eyre two of my comforting companions.
Yet, I was completely alone.
Alone in a family where I was the caterpillar in an ant hill. Alone in that I didn’t have anyone to talk to other than Anne, my diary that I named after both Anne of Green Gables and Anne Frank.
Still, I didn’t understand living in solitude, choosing it, and considered being alone the same thing as lonely. Now I am learning that they are two very different things.
More importantly, I’m learning that not only is it important to examine my life but that it is just as important to “live the questions” as Rumi said.
As a recently divorced, working mother, my life is a mess. In some ways that is terrifying. However, I am learning from the caterpillar; while protected by the outer shell during the chrysalis stage, the caterpillar is a mass of chaos as it recreates and transforms into the butterfly. For a time, the caterpillar is a literal mess, but that stage is vital to its metamorphosis, crucial to its future.
So, I am embracing the mess. While I recreate and transform my life in all areas, I will live the chaos.
Are you struggling with something similar? How are you living your chaos?

Labels: , , , , ,

13 Comments:

  • At 8:50 PM, Blogger Hope Clark said…

    I think life is always in some sort of chaos. We never really arrive where everything is sorted. Just live the moment and you'll be fine. At least that's my mantra. We have so few of those moments left!

    Hope Clark
    www.chopeclark.com
    www.fundsforwriters.com

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger E.F. Slattery said…

    "Embracing the mess" is a good way to cope with messes both metaphorical and literal (of which there is at least one--the literal papers-and-notebooks kind--currently occupying my kitchen table). Brava on your launch, my friend! :)

     
  • At 1:05 AM, Blogger Sidney Blake said…

    Chaos is in the eye of the beholder. I think my sister homeschooling four kids lives in constant chaos. She enjoys it, finds rewards, and is constantly planning the next day with enthusiasm. Some would call my world chaos, moving to a country where I couldn't speak the language, to marry a guy I mostly knew via correspondence with pen and paper, living in a place that has never heard of Wal-Mart.

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Sharon Cupp Pennignton said…

    Chaos, huh? I think our perception of the pandemonium changes as we age. Kind of like a senior discount we don’t have to wait until the second Monday for. There are still upheavals, but we’ve seen enough - experienced enough - to know we’ll make it through. Together. We’ve also learned that no matter how difficult a time we’re having, there’s always someone down the road whose struggle is greater. I say embrace the chaos, follow your gut. Life is too short for regret.

    Lovely blog, Rachel. Food for thought. I'll check back from time to time.

     
  • At 6:21 AM, Blogger Jake said…

    A wonderful and insightful first blog entry, Rachel. I admire your willingness to share your private thoughts. It takes courage to expose one's heart to the world, but it is a major step to becoming that butterfly. Nice work. - Jake

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Rachel Rinehart said…

    Thank you all for reading and responding to my post!

    Hope, I wonder if this is a modern problem or if humans have felt like this since the beginning?! And, I hope that we have many, many moments of enjoying what is!

    Erin, Our literal messes represent some aspect of our metaphorical ones, so good luck with the kitchen table!

    Sid, I laughed at your "no Wal-Mart" comment! And, you are so right that our perspective is vital when considering our chaos, our messes, our busyness.

    Sharon, thanks for sharing your wisdom with us! I like the thought of doing all of this "together." :)

    Aw, Jake, thank you! Becoming that butterfly feels like a long process, but maybe that's the point--the journey of it all.

    I love all of your comments and the deeper thinking that they have allowed me. Here's to embracing our chaos!

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I accept choas, I'm not sure whether it accepts me."

    Looks good, Rachel!

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My experience was the opposite. I'm not an outdoorsy person and I had no siblings near my age. So I had plenty of indoor solitude. Now being of a certain age I find myself more self-aware than when I was young and far more comfortable in my own skin. That is what it all comes down to for me. I know who I am and I am okay with it.

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Rachel Rinehart said…

    Great quote, Mike. Thanks for sharing. It's one of those that I'm going to have to let marinate for a few days. :)

    Hi, Faery Charming. Thanks for reading and commenting. I love what you wrote about being "comfortable in my own skin" because that is something I am working towards. Glad to hear that it is possible. :)

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger donna said…

    Great first blog attempt, Rachel! So now will you be writing here every day? every week? or when you have some new ideas -- whenever that may be? Looking forward to it.
    donna

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Rachel Rinehart said…

    Hi, Donna. I am planning to post every week, as much as possible on Wednesdays. Sometimes I might miss a week (like last week with holidays to plan for and research papers to grade). Thanks for reading!

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    <3

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Very very nice and very Truthful...Love and totally understand your freedom through those writers...Feminism opens so many doors...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home